Saturday, May 23, 2009

5/23 London Continued (Happy Bday Aunt Robyn)

Today started in Leicester Square looking for cheap tickets to a show. The tickets were a bit more expensive than we were willing to pay, and on top of that it was a beautiful day without a cloud in the sky. So we got back on the tube and headed for St. Paul's Cathedral instead. We went inside and mad friends with one of the monks who was quite friendly. The dome at the top of the cathedral was closed so we did not take the tour.

After St. Paul's, we did quite a bit of walking. We walked to the Millennium Bridge and then to the Tower Bridge. There really wasn't anything special about Millennium Bridge, but the Tower Bridge was pretty cool. My favorite part of the day was when we went in the Tower of London. It was a huge fortress. It is the home to the royal crown jewels and it is where people were sent to be tortured (they claim they do not send anyone there these days, I'm skeptical though). I would highly recommend going to the Tower of London if you ever have a chance. It is awesome.
We were tired of walking around and needed to get some energy so we found a nice Italian restaurant and had a delicious meal.

After dinner, most of the group was wanting to go on a bar crawl but me Stephanie and Stephanie did not feeling like tagging along. Instead we choose to wander around London. We ended up in Trafalgar Square. That was fun, we decided to climb up onto the giant lions. Well sort of, I climbed up and helped the other 2 up. It was an entertaining scene to say the least. It was also neat to see the Eye of London, Big Ben, and Parliament all lite up at night. Pictures didn't really turn out but it was quite a few. While taking in the sites, I almost walked through a peddlers sunglasses stand while going across a bridge. In my defense all the sunglasses were on the ground and I was not looking at the ground and I did manage to avoid stepping on the glasses. The peddler was relieved that i was able to stop myself. It would have been a pretty expensive step if I hadn't stopped. Each pair of glasses was £4 and who knows how many I could have crushed. Well its been a long day of walking and I am heading to bed to prepare myself for another day of walking tomorrow. Night all.


Big Ben & Parliament lit up
Tower of London

Tower Bridge
















Only Drinking Fountain in London

3 comments:

  1. Brian,
    Hope that you keep exploring with an eye towards what we should see in June. We are all in awe of the places you are able to experience. Oh I almost forgot, Mom is on the nominating committee and wants to know whether you will serve on Session? Anyway, we are truly enjoying your blog. Thanks for keeping us informed. Love ya as big as the sky.

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, I should be a pretty good tour guide for us when we get back to London. Its not hard to get around the city at all. I am having a great time here and its an amazing experience my post dont give it justice. I have already served on session once and have come to the conclusion that session is a waste of time nothing gets done so no i would not like to be on it again. glad you are enjoying the blog i am having fun writing it. love you guys too see ya soon

    brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checked and there are several choices for an Angels and Demons tours in italy. I plan to book one before we leave home. Your pictures are amazing. Looking forward to your next update.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete